Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Funnel Cakes!

Since I can remember, funnel cakes have been one of my most favorite desserts! I recall being a child and making sure my parents bought me one each and every time we went to Six Flags. In the last few months, I've played around with a few recipes to see what works best. I know it's not healthy, but I've gotten better with eating these. It used to be a multi-weekly treat...now it's like once a month! GROWTH :) I hope you all enjoy it!


Ingredients:
  • 1 egg
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 2tbsp sugar
  • 1/4 tspn of vanilla extract
  • 1 1/4 cup flour
  • a pinch of salt
  • 1 tspn baking powder
  • fresh canola oil
  • a gallon Ziploc bag
  • powdered sugar

In a mixing bowl, mix your egg and milk. Then add each ingredient individually and mix after adding. Pour your batter into your Ziploc bag and seal it.
In your skillet, add about a cup and a half of oil. Once it's heated, you can test your oil by dropping a small drop of batter or flour and seeing the reaction. Cut a tiny hole in the corner of your freezer bag. The hole should be no larger than a small stud earring. Drizzle the batter in a weaving pattern and cook on each side for about a minute to a minute and half. Use tongs to flip when frying.
Once done, drain on a paper towel and top with powdered sugar! Add other toppings such as fresh fruit, syrup and/or whipped cream if you'd like!


1 comment: