Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Chicken Stir-Fry!


In this hectic world we live in, every night cannot and will not be a "slave over the stove for hours" type of dinner. This meal was something that was thought of on a whim. My brother had a volleyball game which meant that we were going to get home late that evening. I had a bunch of errands that had to be run during the day and did not make it to the grocery store until after his game. I needed to cook something that wasn't going to take long and wasn't going to be too unhealthy since we were eating much later than normal. Because I knew what I was making beforehand, I was able to get in and out of the store in 15 minutes flat. The thing that held me up was deciding on using rice or noodles. Then I couldn't decide which type of noodle I wanted. I've heard about "glass noodles" before, but had never eaten then until this instance. Additionally, they were only 2 bucks, so it wasn't a big deal if they didn't work out. At any rate, it ended up being a success! I'll be using the noodles again!
Nom nom!


Ingredients:

  • skinless and boneless chicken tenderlions
  • steamable veggies
  • stir-fry sauce
  • saifun noodles (also known as fensi, chinese vermicelli, or glass noodles)
  • black pepper
  • crushed red pepper
  • evoo
  • slap ya mama or any type of cajun seasoning



Instructions:
In a large pot, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil. Once the water has reached its boiling point, remove from heat, add noodles, and cover with lid. The noodles soften as they sit in the hot water. While they are softening, wash and clean your chicken. Cut into bite-sized pieces and add to your pre-heated skillet. Add 2-4tbsps of evoo, depending on how much chicken you are cooking. With your skillet on medium heat, season your chicken with your peppers and cajun seasoning, if you have some. Once you start the chicken, place your bag of steamed veggies in the microwave. Brands differ with directions, so please be sure to follow your brand's directions accordingly. Once they have finished cooking, add your veggies to the skillet with your chicken, which should be done at this point. Lastly, add the stir-fry sauce. Poor as little or as much as you like. Some people like saucy foods...some don't. So you choose what you want! Cover and stir occasionally, on low, as the noodles finish cooking. 



Drain the water off the noodles. Make your base on your plate with them, then top with your chicken stir-fry. I totally get why the noodles are referred to as "glass noodles." They truly are see through and makes it appear as if your food is floating on your plate. Hope you enjoy! Be sure to comment!


This can also be made without meat and served as a vegetarian option!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Very healthy recipe! I really love the ingredients on your recipe especially the chicken! I think this is perfect for my dinner later. Thank you for sharing!

    Stir Fried Chicken

    ReplyDelete